Arrancar Dynasty
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Arrancar Dynasty

Enter the world of the Living and the Dead. Join the Shinigami and help to decide the fate of the Soul Society; or join the others and rebuild your race.

HomePortalsLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Americans Disability Act

Go down 
AuthorMessage
sangbmt

Americans Disability Act Empty
PostSubject: Americans Disability Act   Americans Disability Act EmptyMon Jul 25, 2011 2:43 am

Once upon a time there was a perfect world. However it is safe to say that most daycare center do not qualify for that perfect world. One of our veteran staff members of 10 years, Gladys, is blind. She had made arrangements for her employment interview via telephone so when she arrived on the appointed day with her guide dog she was greeted with quiet expressions of surprise. As director, I secretly prayed that I would have the experience and sensitivity to conduct the interview properly. Let us be truthful, I was thinking how can I get rid of this person without causing a big stink While it is likely I was suffering from big time prejudice, I like to think I was a victim of fear and ignorance.

She was nervous, of course. I was more nervous. What if I did or said something wrong so I adopted the attitude first be a human being. We chatted and got to know a little bit about each other. She told me about her educational background and family. I did the same. I explained our program and what our goals were and asked her if she thought she might be interested in working in such an environment. She was.

I got bolder. Did she have any previous child care experience as a matter of fact, yes she did. She had volunteered at a daycare center while attending college and she had taken care of her two young nieces. This opened up the entire discussion about exactly what did she do and how did she do it and how was her guide dog handled in the presence of children just how did it work

In the back of my mind I was thinking that if I hired her and it did not work out, I might be stuck with an unsuitable employee. Or perhaps worse yet, if I terminated her it might create a public relations problem or legal problem. I was feeling very uncomfortable.

So we agreed that she, like every other candidate we interviewed, would be allowed to work one day. At the end of that day we would talk again and if we both agreed to continue, she would work one week. If all went well, at the end of the week she would have the job. If it did not work out, it would be a graceful way for both of us to disengage.

The lead teacher she would be working with was affectionately dubbed Saint Barbara. Barbara was the only teacher I had ever known who had found an abandoned python on the streets of New York and called the ASPCA to get help for it. I asked Barbara what thoughts she might have about turning this blind candidate into a productive staff member. She had plenty of ideas and most importantly she had an excellent attitude.

She began by taking Gladys on a tour of the room. She started from the left of the entry way and followed the walls all the way around until they had returned to the entry way. She explained why the furniture was positioned the way it was and how the classroom schedule was set up. She also, casually spoke of the children in the room. She answered all questions and asked Gladys to return the next day dressed to work.

Gladys and I agreed the best place for the guide dog to stay during the course of the workday was in my office. There it would not take up space in the classroom and it would not be a distraction for the children. On the other hand, when the children were to go outside to play, the guide dog would go with them.

We embarked on an educational program so the children would understand that the guide dog was not an ordinary dog. The guide dog was a special working dog that helped Gladys come to school and go home safely.

School life at the center took on a new dimension as children, staff members, and parents learned to be more thoughtful because of Gladys. She amazed everyone with her abilities and we were totally delighted that we had been brave enough to try.

Then one day, about 9 years later, we received a new department of health inspector. She noticed the guide dog in the office and immediately said it was against the health department rules for this animal to be in a school. It had to go.

The inspector and I, along with Gladys discussed the Federal Regulations regarding the Americans Disability Act, which allowed guide dogs to have access to buildings. She was not buying it. The guide dog was to be exiled to a building across the street. I had a problem.

I knew the department of health inspector needed more information. I offered her a copy of the ADA Regulations. She was not interested, but to placate me she said she would ask her supervisor about the dog. In the meantime, she had upset Gladys plenty and she had upset the rest of the staff who were very protective of Gladys and her guide dog and they were ready to stand up for their legal rights.

Eventually the inspector came to understand, through her supervisor, that the Federal Americans Disability Law superceded the local law and the guide dog could stay. And I came to understand, once again, that building a daycare program that includes all types of people is very important.

It is easy to have a model program if everyone fits your mold. But life does not have one mold. And sometimes there are a lot to be learned from others.

Buy steroids with creditcard
Credit Counseling
Back to top Go down

Americans Disability Act
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Arrancar Dynasty :: Templates :: Character Registration-
Jump to: